Brick Buildings

Most of our brick buildings were built in the mid to late 1800's. The most distinguishing architectural features include a mansard roof with gable dormers and double façades that overlook the waterfront
Customs House
38 Depot Street, Pictou

The Customs House was built circa 1873 according to designs by Halifax architects Stirling and Dewar for the Federal Government. The Second Empire structure features a double façade looking out to the harbour and in to the town. The massive building was a forceful statement made by the federal government of a young country, an indelible imprint on the town’s streetscape. Prior to a 1956 hurricane, there was an enclosed light at the top of the tower on the harbour side.


David McCulloch House
26 West Cottage Street, Pictou

The stone partitions in this 1863 home of customs collector David McCulloch (Thomas's son) run from the basement to the attic. This mid-Victorian gem is one of the largest and most intricately designed brick house in Pictou.


Davies Foundry (The Olde Foundry)
104 Front Street, Pictou

Davies Foundry built circa 1855 for William Davies, the buildings were the nucleus of an iron foundry.


McCulloch House
100 Haliburton Road, Pictou

McCulloch House was built (circa 1806) as a home for the family of Rev. Dr. Thomas McCulloch, who came to Pictou from Scotland in 1803. McCulloch called the house Sherbrooke Cottage after a Lieutenant Governor of Nova Scotia who was sympathetic to Pictou Academy. Thomas McCulloch was an extraordinary man, possessing the spiritual, medical and educational qualifications needed by the pioneer town. He was the founder and first principal of Pictou Academy.


Old CN Train Station
115 Front Street, Pictou

The Old C.N. Station was built circa 1904 for the Intercolonial Railroad following a company design. The structure, which also features a double façade, was built on reclaimed land and reflects the eclectic tastes of the period. Interesting features include the steep pictured gable dormers and the central Palladian window. It became part of the Canadian National Railway system in 1923. The building is now owned by the Town of Pictou.


Stella Maris Convent Building
17 Denoon Street, Pictou

Stella Maris Convent, completed in 1880, is a large three-storey building of red brick masonry with sandstone quoins. The most distinguishing architectural feature is the mansard roof with gable dormers. This roof profile is a major element of the Second Empire style, which in turn was closely associated with late nineteenth century institutional architecture.


The Scotsman Inn (Stalker Building)
78 Coleraine Street, Pictou

Next to the bank is a building which was also formerly used as a bank. Locally known as the Stalker Building and built in 1865, this structure has always housed shops and offices until recently where it has become a home & Inn. Its architectural style nicely compliments that of the bank.


YMCA Building
30 Water Street, Pictou

The YMCA building was built in 1879


Connect With Us

Instagram

Get in Touch