Churches

There are five beautiful churches with impressive architectural styles including Gothic Revival and flat topped steeples with mini spires at each corner, much like a "widow's walk". The widow's walk was a common seaside structure, named for the widows of seafarers who have not returned from the sea, hopefully pacing atop a high tower, eyes to the sea, still believing that he may return.
First Presbyterian Church
10 Prince St, Pictou

In the 1840, 50s and even the 60s many protestant groups built churches with steeples just like this one - flat topped with mini spires at each corner, much like a "widow's walk". The widow's walk was a common seaside structure, named for the widows of seafarers who have not returned from the sea, hopefully pacing atop a high tower, eyes to the sea, still believing that he may return. In 1848, the present church was erected.


Pictou United Church
47 James St, Pictou

The Pictou United Church congregation came into being in 1925, at the time of Church Union. The former Methodist Church on Water Street became the first Pictou United Church, with its members drawn from the Presbyterian and Methodist congregations in the town, Rev. F.J.Armitage was our first minister and served the congregation from (1925 to 1933). In 1936, during the ministry of the Rev. Gerald Rogers (1933 to 1939), the church on Water Street was destroyed by fire. The congregation acquired the former Knox Presbyterian Church, which had been built in 1848 on the corner of High street and James Street. (The site of this church is now the eastern part of the present church parking area).


St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church
105 Coleraine Street, Pictou

In 1866 the original building was replaced by a brick and stone church. It served the congregation as a church home until 1893, when it was destroyed by fire, to be replaced by the present handsome brick building, completed in 1895.


St. James Anglican Church
36 Denoon Street, Pictou

in 1879 the cornerstone was laid for the present church building, which was dedicated for worship on June 5th, 1881.


Stella Maris Church
26 St Stephen Street, Pictou

Stella Maris Church is located on St. Stephen Street in Pictou, Nova Scotia. This brick, Gothic Revival style church was built in 1865 and stands out among the surrounding sandstone and wood frame residential buildings.


Connect With Us

Instagram

Get in Touch